Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Decisive Moment

Hey Everyone,

I was having coffee with a fellow photographer and he brought up a discussion he had with a couple that was referred by me. They had mentioned how they love the way I capture an image, this got me thinking about an article I read the other day on Henri Cartier Bresson (father of photojournalism). He coined the term The Decisive Moment

"There is a creative fraction of a second when you are taking a picture. Your eye must see a composition or an expression that life itself offers you, and you must know with intuition when to click the camera. That is the moment the photographer is creative," he said. "Oop! The Moment! Once you miss it, it is gone forever."

"Once you miss it, it is gone forever"

That really hit a cord with me! I look back at some of my images and if I had happened to press the shutter one second too early or late I would have missed the moment. It’s not something that you can study from a book but rather by practice. So the next time your at a party or GTG bring your camera and instead of taking the perfect picture try and capture the perfect moment.







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I have been reading up on all of your helpful hints and tips...thank you for sharing.
I was asked by a good friend to photograph their wedding. Both have been married once before and did not want to pay the large price of a photographer. They asked me...yikes! I am an amature and am finding your blogs interesting. Your work is amazing! I only hope to capture one amazing shot and hope it is of the bride and groom. Any suggestions?
I have been studying photos and books but found your insert tonight on Capturing the moment when the moment is right easing the nerves some.
THANK YOU FOR SHARING ALL OF YOUR AMAZING WORK!

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home