Monday, February 25, 2008

What's in my bag

Hey Gang,

Every once in a while I get an email from an aspiring photographer or a gear junky like me asking what equipment I use? So here it is, my bag (get your heads out of the gutter!) *wink*

I like to keep things simple and light! Because I shoot allot of available light I need fast lenses 2.8 and faster. I also love the super Bokeh that these lens produce. Definition of bokeh: lens bokeh produces different aesthetic qualities in out-of-focus backgrounds, which are often used to reduce distractions and emphasize the primary subject.

I shoot most of the day with the 35 & 85 but when I want the ultra wide angle look I put on the 17-40L, I'll use this lens when I’m trying to incorporate some fine art landscape images in my couples photographs. When I need to get in tight but don’t want to attract attention I'll reach for my 135L, I love the bokeh this lens produces it just turns the background to butter! *LOL*
At dark receptions I rely on my Canon 580II and 550 to help illuminate the scene I'll be experimenting more with firing these babies wirelessly (is that a word?) *LOL*. Oh ya! I power my flashes with Al Jacobs external batter packs, Love these things! Check them out at http://www.aljacobs.com/ http://www.aljacobs.com/packtuxedo.htm

For people starting out I definitely recommend zoom lenses, they give you a better bang for your buck. For weddings fast zooms are a must! 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 would be a great combo and would cover an entire wedding easily.

So you’re probably wondering why am I not using zooms? I started my career using those two lenses with amazing results. Lez told me that my love handles were starting to reveal themselves so I switched to fixed focal lengths, now Im forced to use my legs for zooming! *wink*. Seriously though, Im amazed by the effect (bokeh) that these fixed lenses provide, they isolate my subjects perfectly and this really suits my story-telling style. So are fixed lenses better than zooms, no it just depends what you like!


p.s. You might of noticed that I didnt really talk about the bodies I use, they're Canon 5D. But as the old saying goes"

"Bodies come and go but glass is forever"

Here you go!


3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent post, with great tips and tricks......T

4:26 PM  
Blogger Florin said...

Finally you decide to let us see your bag. Too bad you don't use a Nikon. The D3 is pretty. They have some good fixed lenses too.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what is a tuxedo?

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home